The former Test opener was fined $1,500 at Waverley Local Court after trying to swap seats with a passenger at a breath-testing site with his children in the car
David Warner has been convicted of mid-range drink-driving after a Sydney judge dismissed his argument that media coverage of his arrest amounted to punishment enough. The 39-year-old was fined $1,500 at Waverley Local Court on Tuesday over an incident on Easter Sunday, when he attempted to switch seats with a passenger as he approached a random breath-testing site. Judge Clare Farnan found that any damage to his public standing was a foreseeable consequence of his global profile. Warner left court without speaking, stumbling on his way to a waiting car.
The offence
Warner was arrested during an Easter trip home while playing in the subcontinent. His barrister, Awais Ahmad, told the court his client had made an impulsive decision to drive his family home from a function after drinking three glasses of wine. He recorded a reading more than twice the legal limit.
According to the agreed facts read to the court, Warner stopped short on seeing the testing site and tried to swap seats with a female passenger. Judge Farnan noted that he cooperated with testing once officers identified him as the driver. She said the offence was aggravated by the presence of his children in the vehicle.
The argument from the defence
Mr Ahmad said the case had been reported by outlets including ESPN, Al Jazeera and the Indian Express. He pointed to the acceptance of a “non-drinking culture” in countries such as India and Bangladesh, where Warner may seek work in T20 franchise leagues.
“The consequences of his offending are profound,” he said. “Commercial opportunities (are) being affected.”
The barrister also questioned why NSW Police had issued a press release about the arrest, given what he characterised as the unremarkable nature of the offence. “There has been savage media reporting,” he said.
Warner was not present when the matter was first mentioned, arriving hours later for oral submissions. His final Instagram story before sentencing, posted on Monday night, showed his wife Candice in the first-class cabin of a Qantas A380, captioned: “You’re killing me darling, another holiday.”
The judge’s findings
Judge Farnan acknowledged evidence of cruel social media commentary directed at the Warners, but said his attempt to conceal that he had been driving did not reflect well on him. Deterrence, she said, was paramount.
“I accept Mr Warner is unlikely to reoffend,” she said. “(But) regrettably, drink-driving is still a significant factor in many crashes in NSW.”
He will be able to drive again once he applies for an interlock licence and has the device fitted for a year. It prevents a vehicle from starting if alcohol is detected.
Fallout at the Thunder
The court heard Warner’s position as captain of the Sydney Thunder in the Big Bash League is under threat. The Thunder, along with the Sydney Sixers and Sheffield Shield side the NSW Blues, take part in a state government campaign against drink-driving.
Cricket NSW, which owns and manages the Thunder, acknowledged the sentence and described itself as a “strong advocate of safe driving”. A spokesman said: “We continue to take this incident seriously, including educating all players on the importance of safe driving.”
Warner recently commentated for Fox Cricket on Australia’s Test defeat to Bangladesh in Darwin. Before moving into broadcasting, he was an aggressive opener for the national side until retiring from Test cricket in 2024, scoring 8,786 runs at an average of more than 44 across 112 Tests, with a highest score of 335 not out.
